No Muse? Oh Muse?

Image result for Dead ZOne


Oh Muse?
I have sat for
twelve hours
at my favorite
Coffee shop
Bar
Park bench
People watching station
staring at blank pages
waiting for literally
any word to pop
into my mind.

This morning I
stared into my
mirror trying to
remember if I had
been properly
Fed
Watered
Exercised
Medicated.
still blank pages
to match blank faces.

I tried meditation
tumbleweed
through barren
dreamscapes.
I have seen
more productivity
in ocean
Dead Zones.
So filled
with proper
Fertilizer
nothing can
Breathe.

Is.          
                That.     
                                Me?

No art?
No words?
No pain?

Comfortable
                Mind killer.
Status: Operational
                Story: Open only in case of Emergency.







Comments

  1. This was a fun ode to your muse with very familiar elements throughout. The purposeful line breaks emphasised the pauses and lent a very strong rhythm to the piece. I particularly liked what you did with the structure of "Is. That. Me?". It would be cool to see a similar kind of playing with structure for the rest of this ode; particularly in the short lines where you present alternatives to a scenario (coffee shop/bar/park bench/people watching station). The clear rhythm in this piece also lends itself to being read aloud. It would be fun to hear it. Writing about not writing is the weakest part of this post; it can feel a little tired. I think the strongest parts of this poem were where you detailed the everyday physical steps you took (writing in different locations, the acts of feeding and caring for yourself), and your relationship to your muse. They draw the reader in to familiar scenarios and invite them to empathise with you. It would be good to see an emphasis on those areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your incredible CC. I will for sure look at adding some of those elements.

      Delete
  2. I thought this was a lovely description of writer's block. Sometimes the words either come, or they don't, ya know? Also, people-watching is the greatest. I love pondering what their lives are like. It's like a live-action art museum.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ifiritah

Kolmanskop

The Red Queen of Reno